UANL - Faculty of Medicine
“Nuestra Señora del Rosario” Hospital.
The building, which was previously in use as the “Governor’s Mansion,” was turned into a hospital on August 15, 1973, by mandate of the Bishop Andrés Ambrosio de Llanos y Valdés. He also ordered to equip the mansion with three clinical rooms, with a capacity for 12 internment beds. It was named “Nuestra Señora del Rosario” hospital.
Birth of Eleuterio González
On February 20 1813 José Raymundo Eleuterio González Mendoza (“Gonzalitos”) was born in Jalisco.
First medical-surgical chair
On October 2, 1828, the State Government signed a contract with Pascual Constanza for the founding of the first medical-surgical program in Monterrey. Due to economic reasons, this project did not last.
José Eleuterio González migrates to San Luis Potosí, where he entered as a medical intern into the “San Juan de Dios” hospital.
Accompanied by a document that accredited his practices in surgery and medicine, Gonzalitos arrived in Monterrey to work as a doctor in the “Nuestra Señora del Rosario” hospital. Only a few months later, he was appointed as interim director of the hospital.
First Pharmacy Program
The first Pharmacy program in the apothecary of the “Nuestra Señora del Rosario” Hospital began, with only four students.
On March 8, 1842, the government of Nuevo Leon issued a medical degree to Gonzalitos, after having passed an exam. That same year another medical program was created, which was interrupted by the American invasion in 1846.
Dr. González was appointed a member of the Health Council, which was created by his initiative.
The hospital closes its doors
Due to economic difficulties of the church, the “Nuestra Señora del Rosario” hospital is forced to close its doors.
On October 30, 1859, Dr. González founded the Medical School, located on Zaragoza and Ocampo, as part of the recently founded Civil College. The degree lasted six years. The Pharmacy degree lasted five years. Dr. González was appointed director of the campus.
The Civilian Hospital opens its doors with 14 beds and where students would develop their clinical practices. The front of the hospital overlooked Cinco de Mayo Street, between the current Pino Suárez and Cuauhtémoc avenues and its garden, extended south to Matamoros street.
Separation from the Civilian College
The governor of Nuevo León issued a declaration that reorganized the educational structure of the school, among other requirements, which enabled the separation of the Medical School from the Civilian College and its affiliation to the Health Council.
Death of Dr. José Eleuterio González
On April 4, 1888, at the age of 75, Dr. José Eleuterio González died. In his will, he left all his property to the Medical School and the Civilian Hospital.
The Medical School moves to Cuauhtémoc and Allende streets and is now attached to the González Hospital.
The closing of the Medical School
Due to lack of enrollment, the government determines to close the school, meaning that only the students enrolled until the end of their career would be able to continue, which ended in 1903.
Regularization of the school
The campus was opened while Dr. Juan de Dios Treviño was the Dean. The school survived during a period of economic instability and managed to regularize its operation until 1933.
New González Hospital
The construction of the New González Hospital begins.
The opening of the Hospital
On October 3, 1944, the hospital was opened officially by the then state governor; Bonifacio Salinas. The hospital has an area of 19,000 square meters and an estimated capacity for 500 beds.
In 1944 the first National Congress of Medical Schools was held in Monterrey. In this forum, Dr. Ángel Martínez Villarreal presented the idea of creating the Hospital-School with the departmental organization, where he was subordinated to it; idea summarized in his sentence: "All assistance services in the hospital must be done with the purpose of teaching.
Current School building
The construction of the current school building was started, with the engineers Manuel Martínez Carranza and Leobardo Elizondo in charge, as well as the architect Joaquín A. Mora. Part of its cost was paid through the selling of the land where the previous school was to the IMSS, space where the current Specialties Hospital is.
On November 9, 1952, the School of Medicine was officially opened by the then Mexican president Miguel Alemán, while Dr. Serapio Muraira was the Dean of the new School.
The Psychiatry Unit is opened, which was built behind the Civilian Hospital.
The construction of the "Out-patient Clinic" began, which was built in several periods and was finally opened in 1974.
Construction of the 5th floor
The construction of the 5th floor of the University Hospital began.
Radiology and Radiotherapy Building
The Radiology and Radiotherapy Building was opened, which is also home of the Oncology Department.
Remodeling and optimization
During recent management periods, the intense program of remodeling and optimization of the available spaces continued, with the “Dr. Rodrigo Barragán” building as a perfect example. Additionally, the “Carlos Maldonado” Shock Trauma Unit was added in 2001 and the Pediatric Tower in 2003. Also, the construction of the High Specialization and Advanced Medicine Hospital began in 2012.
Academic excellence with humanity and service.
Train health professionals with academic excellence in the field of undergraduate studies, researchers, specialists, masters, doctorates, university professors, technicians and other staff required in the various disciplines of the medical sciences, so they can develop their health care, teaching and research duties within an ethical and humanitarian frame, an ample spirit of service, self-criticism and continual updating of their knowledge.
An educational institution with an international reputation.
The School of Medicine of the UANL is, in the year 2020 the best educational, research, and health services institution in the country, socially responsible and being internationally competitive due to its quality, relevance and its scientific and technological contributions to the field of biomedicine.