Dr. Álvaro Gómez Leal and the beginnings of University Medicine
Dr. Gómez Leal was a profound reader and writer on humanistic issues, concerned with the dissemination of scientific knowledge
Born in Tampico, Tamaulipas in 1925. He studied Medicine at the National University. At the end of his career, he settled in Monterrey as a doctor at the IMSS. Later he moved to the capital of the Republic to specialize in hematology at the National Institute of Nutrition, graduating in 1956. He returned to the royal capital to establish his hematological practice.
He was a professor at the Clinical Pathology Service of the UANL University Hospital, Head of Hematology and Deputy Director of Postgraduate Studies at the Faculty of Medicine, as well as a member of the Governing Board of this University. In addition to his outstanding performance in medical practice and teaching, Dr. Gómez Leal was a profound reader and punctual writer on humanistic topics, concerned with the dissemination of scientific and social knowledge that was aired in the university environment of the sixties. It was at the end of this decade when he took the initiative to publish a magazine that gave an account of the regional medical work.
In January 1970 the first issue of University Medicine, with the following directory: Álvaro Gómez Leal as editor; editorial board formed by professors Manuel Rodríguez, Rodrigo F. Barragán, Ricardo Rangel Guerra, José Morales Casas, Alfredo Delgado, Fernando Ovalle and as Manager Gilberto Molina. The department responsible for its publication was the Graduate School of the Faculty, with an initial circulation of five thousand copies, the main distribution was made directly between teachers and students.
University Medicine becomes an important forum for the Faculty professors to publish their research, trials and medical protocols, although contributions from authors from other universities would also be received. In his Editorial, he highlights that: “Its various sections have been planned with the hope that they can serve the largest possible number of doctors, from those who only prefer to quickly review some therapeutic novelty, to those who are interested in basic research, including the one who wants to know the comments to a clinical case or to deepen the study of patients with rare diseases. "
In the first 72-page issue, seven articles are published, among others: “Benign intracranial hypertension” by Melvin Greer and Ricardo Rangel; “Polycystic ovaries” by Sergio de la Garza and Luis L. Lozano and Clinical-pathological session of selected cases from the clinical-pathological sessions of the University Hospital.
The magazine would also report on postgraduate and continuing education activities. In this first stage, by Dr. Álvaro Gómez, four numbers are published, from January to December 1970, and a cumulative 26 articles. Only that year is the magazine published, its edition is interrupted and it will be until the end of the nineties when its continuity is decided.
In October 1998, the second period of University Medicine began, now by the Subdirectorate of Continuing Education, with Dr. David Gómez Almaguer as editor-in-chief, an editorial committee made up of 19 professors and with a print run of a thousand copies.
University Medicine is the first journal of the Faculty to have an ISSN (International Standard Serial Number). It is still current and available through open access in digital format on the internet: it is the longest-running magazine in the history of the Faculty.