The Social Service in Medicine
The first records about the realization of the social service by the students of the School of Medicine, date back to the year 1939.
The first records about the performance of the social service by the students of the School of Medicine, date back to the year 1939. According to the report of the director Dr. Jesús García Segura:
“The performance of five months of social service was implemented as an indispensable requirement to support professional examination. In January, medical interns began to play, one in the municipality of Santa Catarina, Nuevo León, and another in Villa de Juárez, Nuevo León.
On May 1, other interns began to serve him at the aid station of the municipal presidency. These days must begin 17 interns of which only 5 have been subsidized by the Department of Public Health, and the rest by this faculty, having been delayed only for lack of the corresponding equipment that must be submitted by the health department. ”(Report of Direction, 1939)
That same year it was also stipulated that the students of the Nursing School should perform their social service without financial compensation, as a requirement to support their professional examination.
In 1940, in coordination with the State Government, the Rural Social Medical Service was established, which consisted of medical and nursing interns offering free health services to the rural people, who were far from the centers where they They provide medical care. The municipalities benefited were: Villaldama, Zuazua, Los Ramones, Abasolo, Agualeguas, Los Herreras, Lampazos, Iturbide, Dr. Coss, Gral. Bravo, Villa de García, Aramberri, Gral. Treviño, Los Aldamas, Bustamante and Higueras.
Within the first group to perform her social service in rural areas was María de los Ángeles Torres Moyeda, who was the first woman to perform the social service in the entity.