Dr. Serapio Muraira Muraira
One of the main drivers for the construction of the new Civil Hospital, and director of the transition from the Hospital-School model.
He was born in Villaldama, NL, on October 11, 1898. In 1912 he entered the Civil College to study the Baccalaureate. In 1918 he enrolled in the National School of Medicine in Mexico City, concluding his medical career in 1924. From this year he returned to his hometown to practice the profession, however, in October 1930 he went to settle to Monterrey, since Governor Francisco A. Cárdenas appointed him director of the Civil Hospital, he also taught the Chair of Surgical Propedeutic Clinic at the School of Medicine.
He was one of the main drivers for the construction of the new Civil Hospital and was part of the first technical committee in charge of the design and planning of the hospital. The New Civil Hospital functioned partially in 1938 and Dr. Muraira took over the leadership of the Gynecology Service, from 1940 to 1943.
In December 1948, when Lic. Arturo B. de la Garza was finishing his governorship and being rector of the University, Lic. Octavio Treviño, he was appointed director of the Faculty of Medicine, when the campus was provisionally in the Sears building of 15 de Mayo and Zuazua, while the current building was completed.
In the second quarter of 1951, the Anatomy Section was inaugurated in the new campus, which had two floors and a basement, an elevator for practice corpses, refrigerated rooms, among other advances. Event attended by Governor Ignacio Morones Prieto and Rector Raúl Rangel Frías.
On June 2, 1952, the Civil Hospital was delivered in a special ceremony to the University of Nuevo León, taking possession as director of the Hospital, Dr. Serapio Muraira, at the same time director of the Faculty of Medicine; event attended by Governor José Vivanco and President Raúl Rangel Frías.
Finally, on November 9, 1952, the current Faculty of Medicine was inaugurated in its entirety by the President of the Republic, Lic. Miguel Alemán Valdés.
On these important dates for our institutions, Dr. Muraira was present occupying the position of director of the Hospital-School. He passed away on February 25, 1966.
It is important to note that on March 4 of this year, Dr. Muraira's son, also a doctor Serapio Muraira Neira, who works in the General Surgery Service of the University Hospital, donated several pieces of surgical instruments to the Museum Room that his father used at the HU, among the more than 100 pieces, the following stand out: tweezers, scalpels, mirrors, dilators, needles, a forceps and a diploma that he was awarded by the International College of Surgeons, in Genoa, Switzerland, on August 10, 1941. The donation was delivered by Dr. Rogelio Salinas Domínguez, representing Dr. Muraira Neira.