Dr. Ángel Óscar Ulloa Gregori, the great plastic surgeon
Dr. Ángel Óscar Ulloa Gregori, was born on September 10, 1919 in Mineral de “El Oro”, State of Mexico. He was the first doctor with curricular training in the United States, founder of the Service
Dr. Ángel Óscar Ulloa Gregori was born on September 10, 1919 in Mineral de "El Oro", State of Mexico, his parents were Ángel Óscar Ulloa and Carmela Gregori.
In 1931 his family moved to Monterrey, where he completed his primary education at the Pedro Noriega School. He attended secondary education at the Secondary School No. 1 of Monterrey, continued with the baccalaureate at the Civil College of the University of Nuevo León, which ends in 1938. That year he enrolls in the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Nuevo León, and concludes in 1944, exercising the Social Service in Ciudad Guerrero, Tamaulipas. He obtained the title of Midwife Surgeon in 1945.
He did graduate studies in Elgin, Ilinois, from 1945 to 1949; one year of rotational internship at Geneva Community Hospital, and three years of general surgery at St. Joseph Hospital. In 1949 he began his curricular preparation for Plastic Surgery at the University of Texas at Galveston, in the Medical Branch.
From 1950 to 1953 he covered his residency at John Sealy Hospital. He obtained the American Board of Plastic Surgery certificate and is admitted to the American College of Surgeons as FACS (Fellow of the American College of Surgeons).
In 1953 he returned to Monterrey to establish himself as the first doctor with curricular training in the United States. He joined the Dr. José Eleuterio González University Hospital to found the Plastic, Maxillofacial, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery Service. He obtained the leadership of this Service by competitive examination in January 1954, a position in which he lasted 43 years. Also install the residence for this specialty.
In 1961 he received the appointment to take charge of the first course of surgery at the UNL School of Medicine.
Doctor Ulloa was one of the first professors of the Faculty to obtain a doctorate, on November 24, 1988, with his thesis on his idea of reconstruction with a nasal SMAS flap, a text published in the Journal of Plastic Surgery.
Over 20 years he collected around 700 pieces, including cases, medical devices and instruments, from the 19th and 20th centuries. In 2002, he donated his personal collection to the Historical Room of the Faculty of Medicine, and as a token of appreciation, in his honor, the Department changed its name to “Dr. Ángel Óscar Ulloa Gregori Museum Room”.
He passed away on November 2, 2015, at the age of 96.