May 5 International Midwife Day
Learn the story about the career of Midwives of the School of Nursing.
In ancient times, childbirth assistance was provided by midwives or midwives. There are references of midwives in all cultures, from time immemorial and with different names. Until the 17th century, it was an activity exclusively for women.
They did not have an academic background; but rather an empirical knowledge, transmitted from mothers to daughters, or from women to other women. Their job was to provide support, care and advice during pregnancy, childbirth and the puerperium.
In the Public Instruction Plan, sent to the State Congress on February 27, 1826 by Governor José María Parás, among other things, it was proposed that, at the Hospital del Rosario, on Sundays a treatise on deliveries and diseases would be taught half an hour from women and children, to midwives of conduct and aptitude, the chair did not prosper; More than 30 years later, Dr. José Eleuterio González established a Department of Births, for men and women. With this it was sought that those who were dedicated to this work, had the basis of scientific and anatomical knowledge, as well as, regularize their exercise of State Public Health.
On July 2, 1873, the School of Medicine received a request from Elena Knapp to be accredited as a midwife, lived in Cadereyta Jiménez, Nuevo León. She presented the professional exam after having studied under the direction of her father, the doctor of Medicine D. Moisés L. Knapp, for more than two years, so after being examined and checking her theoretical and practical skills on women pregnant women and calves, and that of the conditions of newborn children, the State Higher Health Council gave her proof of certification.
The Jury was composed of doctors Antonio Lafon, José Ygnacio de la Garza García and Juan de Dios Treviño, who approved it unanimously.
She is considered the first accredited midwife of the State.
The subjects that took in the curriculum of 1898 were the following ones: Obstetrics and the one of Anatomy and Physiology, Teratology, Hygiene, Special diseases of women and children, the corresponding one to Legal Medicine and Medical Moral.
The School of Nurses, founded in 1915, was integrated into the School of Medicine by agreement of the Government in 1928, being named the Professional School of Nurses and Midwives. Their practices were carried out in the Maternity ward of the González Hospital and in the Center for Child Hygiene, having to cover a total of 339 deliveries.
In 1958, being already Faculty of Nursing and Obstetrics, he moved to an independent building; 10 years later, due to changes in curricula, the career of Midwives of the School of Nursing is abolished.