130th Happy Anniversary of Dr. José Eleuterio González
Learn more about the history of Dr. José Eleuterio González Mendoza.
At eleven o'clock on the night of April 4, 1888, at 75 years of age, Dr. José Eleuterio González died (due to "liver disease", according to his death certificate). The whole city regretted his loss and dressed in mourning, all social and economic activities were paralyzed.
The School of Medicine took care of the body and embalmed it, between days 5 and 6. The present body mass was held on day 7, in the chapel of the Hospital, on whose cover the students of Medicine placed a canvas, changing the title of Civil Hospital to "Gonzalitos Hospital". Later his remains were taken to the Government Palace, where he was paid official funeral honors.
On April 8, the meritorious body was transferred to the "Gonzalitos Hospital" to bury him. At four o'clock in the afternoon he left the procession, headed by state and municipal authorities. Upon arriving at the Hospital, the coffin was placed on the porch, on a simple catafalque. In the background were crepes and legends that accounted for the values of the wise doctor. On the right side of his remains, a tribune for the funeral and funeral prayers was improvised. At the conclusion of the ceremony, the coffin was taken to the interior chapel of the hospital, where the next day it was buried on the north wall.
A tombstone carved by F. Ferri was placed on his grave with the inscription:
His memory will not perish and his name will be repeated from generation to generation. Ecclesiastical Cap. XXXIX, V.10.
Here lie the mortal remains of the Benemérito de Nuevo León. Dr. José Eleuterio González who knew how to live and die as a good son of God. DEP Monterrey, April 4, 1888.
The Monterrey School of Medicine in memory of its founder.
In his will he left a legacy, with which the upper floor of the Hospital and the annex building of the School of Medicine was built, completed in 1892.
In 1913 the Italian artist Miguel Giacomino made the seated sculpture of the philanthropist doctor, in addition to projecting and directing the works of the square located north of the Civil Hospital, where the monument was placed, on 15 de Mayo Street, between Pino Suárez and Cuauhtemoc.
When the Hospital's land was sold to the IMSS, which was to be demolished to build the new regional specialty building, on February 4, 1939, the members of the Committee formed to commemorate the 50th anniversary of his death, organized a year earlier, they took care of the exhumation of their mortal remains and placed them in front of the building, in the square under their seated bronze statue.
In this place were his remains until June 2, 1982, when they were transferred to the garden of the UANL School of Medicine, where the final tomb of the most illustrious and humanist man of the nineteenth century has remained.